BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Camp Sew

Today, I confessed to Thomas something about my past. In the 6th grade, I attended a 4-H camp called "Camp Sew" with my cousin Elizabeth. It was a day camp featuring....sewing. At the time, I had miserably bushy blonde hair parted down the middle and spent a week creating a horrible red, white and blue vest with sequins on it. There is a picture somewhere to prove it, but thankfully I live 800 miles away from it and it cannot be featured here on the blog.

At any rate, Camp Sew+my Granny stirred up a love of sewing in my heart, so my parents bought me a sewing machine and off I went on my merry sewing way. I've never created anything too spectacular, although in high school I did make my Junior Marshall dress in Home Ec (aka my amazing teacher did most of the work). My sewing machine has been in storage for a few years now, but I decided to bring it back with me in order to create some sort of curtains for our unfortunate windows:

We live on the third floor of our building, so our vaulted ceilings make for windows that are close to the ground and abnormally sized. I've tried many combinations of curtains, blinds etc but nothing fits quite right. Add to the fact that I'm incredibly picky and cheap, and I haven't been satisfied with anything. So I took matters into my own hands and decided to have a CAMP SEW moment!

I bought tablecloths at Christmas Tree Shops for $3.99 (for those of you who haven't gotten to experience the wondrous joy that is Christmas Tree Shops--I feel sorry for you). 

I wiped the dust off of the old sewing machine and simply hemmed the top of the table cloth wide enough for a tension rod to slip through (I got the tension rod from Lowes for $2). 

I chopped off the remaining fabric--please note the kitchen scissors. I probably used them to cut herbs yesterday. Perfectionist? I think not. 

And I now have fabulous white curtains I approve of that fit perfectly into our strange windows! AND they only cost $6/window. Thanks Camp Sew!

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Camp Sew...the weird things that we did...and yes, let's keep those pictures hidden. The curtains look great though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you make shower curtains? Maybe there is side job here. I'll have to show this to the Marian McCreight Interiors staff fo sho!
    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is too funny because I am actually considering making curtains too because our thick blinds aren't enough from keeping the Florida heat from creeping in! Plus I'm cheap and the "balcony" window/door is like 10 by 10 feet...ughhh. Nobody makes curtain that big and if they do I don't want to know how much it costs!:)

    ReplyDelete