BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

What crime says about my personality

I've been back in DC for a few more days as I wrap up my homeless travels. Today marks 2 full months that Thomas and I have been "homeless" and we've only shared the same roof over our heads for 3 out of the last 8 months. Thomas says the statistics are depressing, but I say they are downright hilarious. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

Anyway, I digress. Like I said, I've been back at my sister's house on Capitol Hill in DC. I'm probably not informing you of anything new when I tell you that lots of crime goes on daily in this city. But there is something different I've noticed about DC residents:

When they see a crime scene, THEY WALK TOWARDS IT.

Now, one thing you must know about me is that I am a pretty fearful person when it comes to crime. I shouldn't be this way seeing as my father once chased a criminal down and tackled him with his bare hands, but those genes somehow missed me. When fights would occur in high school, all of my peers would gravitate towards the fight. Not this girl. I would see a fight and immediately orient myself as far away as possible.

Yet in DC, I've noticed that folks crowd around crime scenes. A few weeks ago my sister and I were on a walk and we saw a whole block roped off with yellow "crime scene" tape. My heart began pounding and I sped up to head home. But I noticed that my sister was walking towards the yellow crime scene tape. "Jeannie! We have a child in a stroller, there could be something terrible happening, what are you DOING?" She scoffed at me. She calls 911 all the time and turns bad people in. I'm not kidding.

So, you can understand that when a police helicopter began hovering over our house at 11pm last night, I was slightly terrified. I heard Jesse go downstairs and Jeannie came to tell me that someone had gotten robbed down the street. The robber had been cornered in a back alley somewhere nearby. Hence, there were 3 police cars one block over and a hovering helicopter:

Sorry the photo is so bad, but I took this with my phone to prove to Thomas that there really was a hovering helicopter with a big shiny light right above our house.

Anyway, I decided to venture downstairs when I realized Jeannie and Jesse were GONE. I couldn't find them anywhere in the house. And the front door was unlocked. And they weren't in the front yard or on the street. As I deemed them unfit to be parents, I too took the bait and walked outside. And that's when I realized that there were tons of people standing around at the end of the street to see what was going on. It was bizarre-- I kept thinking that the robber was going to come sprinting down the street and kill us all.

OK, so I'm willing to admit that I have an overactive imagination, but since living here I've learned some things about myself. A. I'm a wimp. B. I'm a wimp. and C. I'M A WIMP.

Stay in school. And stay away from crime.

The end.

1 comment:

  1. brings back warm memories of ybor city and helicopters at night chasing criminals....longest night ever and no one but us even heard it!

    ReplyDelete