BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Why my husband gets paid to hit people

Now that training camp is almost over, I figured I'd better do a post about what has been going on up in the far-away land of Minnesowtah. Thomas left on July 28th and was in Mankato, MN at a private college for the dreaded and long-awaited Training Camp. Every football player dreads Training Camp because it is 3 weeks of hellacious 2-a-day workouts, lots of coaches yelling, and very tired players. Thomas got the pleasure of not only sleeping on a queen sized mattress on a dorm room floor, but on a queen sized mattress on a dorm room floor next to another lineman. Sleeping with one lineman is enough for me, but two of them would be a nightmare, no pun intended. I shudder when I think of the snoring that went on in that room.

I'll spare you the rest of the details, but Thomas made it through camp and only needed one IV throughout the whole process. We made it through 20 L.O.N.G. days without each other. I am a total wimp and 20 days was really hard for me, especially talking on the phone. If you know me, you know that I am not a huge fan of talking on the phone so having to communicate on the telephone every night was torture (for both of us, poor Thomas) but we made it and I got to go visit for 5 days last week.

Little did I know, Brett Favre was coming to visit Minnesota as well. I was supposed to get to go watch practice one day, but it happened to be the same day Brett was planning to return. Needless to say I wasn't allowed to go because of all the media. However, I couldn't help but go check things out at the facility as there were helicopters and media everywhere in Eden Prairie. I innocently parked my car next to the facility and got out with my camera. This is what I saw:

A man hiding in a tree in order to watch practice through the chain-link fence.
A man who brought a cooler and a bottle of water. I guess he was there for the long haul. Poor guy, nothing else to do on a Wednesday?? Oh wait, I don't have anything else to do on a Wednesday either....

Right after I took this photo, 3 women ran up to me and began talking in hurried whispers: "Get down! The security guard is coming! You aren't supposed to be on the grass!" It startled me because I had no idea I was doing anything wrong, plus the fact that these three women were speaking in hushed tones as if we were attending a funeral. Sure enough, a security guard walked over and informed us that no one was to be standing on the grass and no photographs were to be taken. As soon as he left, my 3 new friends launched into a tirade about the unfairness of the situation and how bad they "just wanted to see Brett. We aren't here to hurt anyone or sell pictures on the Internet." This was followed by a slew of curse words regarding security guards, the Vikings, the fence around the facility, and anything else on their hearts.

Needless to say, it was a pretty eventful week. We had so much fun just being together again for a few days. Continue to pray for us to trust the Lord with our future as we still have no idea whether Thomas will make the team or not. You can watch his pre-season game live tonight on NBC at 8pm EST. He will hopefully get to play sometime during the 3rd or 4th quarter.

 When you see #63 hit a player from the opposing team down onto the ground, (called a knockdown block) cheer. Cheer loud.

3 comments:

  1. Marge, this is hilarious! You are such a great writer! I hope you're hanging in there cuz; I'll be praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, great update. No details about the time you and Thomas spent together? Go God! Love, Uncle Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go Thomas! and hang in there Marge!!

    ReplyDelete