BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Oh, Autumn

My new friend Alissa  from church recently posted a George Eliot quote that I absolutely loved, and I had to share it in light of the glorious New England autumn we are getting to experience:


 "Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns." - George Eliot


If I were a bird, I would certainly "fly about the earth" seeking some of my favorite things about autumn. Thomas' day off is Tuesday here in the world of the NFL, and it is a strange feeling but we are adjusting. Yesterday we went on a fun hike at a nearby state forest. The colors of fall are full throttle here and the air is truly crisp. Thomas loves it and wears shorts every day, whereas I am terrified of winter because I'm already complaining about being cold. But maybe that is because my husband leaves the windows open every night with a fan in our bedroom window? I'm not joking folks, he wants as much of the 40 degree night time air as possible. Here he is in his shorts, climbing every rock we saw yesterday.
He took these awesome pictures of the lake we {finally} found on our hike:


And then we had a hysterical 15 minute self-timer session of hanging the camera from a tree limb, me jumping over rocks and twigs to get into the photo, stepping into a nasty mud-hole, and coming out with some quality laughs:

Please note that I am wearing a down vest {Thomas wisely recommended it} and my husband is wearing a fishing shirt and shorts. 

And we were both wondering how old the rock walls were that were running throughout the state park. They were all over the place and were so cool. We started speculating about who built them: pilgrims or Indians? Whoever constructed the things, they've stood firm for a long time. I wish people still made things like this. Everything here seems so old and I am always saying to Thomas "do you think the pilgrims stood right here? Was this road here when the pilgrims were here? Can you imagine being a pilgrim and living here when it was wilderness?" I have a deep appreciation of the pilgrims, thanks to my Aunt Nancy who faithfully produced a Thanksgiving play every year that included pilgrims and Indians. Maybe I'll find some photos and post them when Thanksgiving rolls around. Anyway, the rock walls were cool:


Happy Fall folks!

3 comments:

  1. Thomas, you'll have to crank up the ol' Armstrong heater to keep your bride warm. (I just realized you probably have NO idea what that means! I just attended a seminar on inter-generational communication!) We love the Fall here in NY, too. The colors are GLORIOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!! It's so pretty!! Y'all look so content, too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your pictures, it's like that here too. Everywhere you look is mts, beatiful! When we lived up there,we would go to where the Mayflower landed ( is there a place called Plymouth?) and suposedly the decendents of the pilgrims would be in custom and paraded. Every Thanksgiving. Love to ya. Nana

    ReplyDelete