BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Under $10

I have a few more favorite things to share...and of course they fall under the category of {cheap} too! 

A friend of mine uses these flour sack towels in place of paper towels as a way to "go green." I grew up in a house where my father used an insane amount of paper towels for EVERYTHING. Maybe I will give him some of these as a stocking stuffer this year! I love having them on hand and just throw them in the washing machine every now and then. And they are only $5 for 5 at your local Wal-Mart! They also look nice on the kitchen counter in a basket or just stacked by themselves. 

My sister-in-law Elizabeth introduced me to this amazing hummus.  I'm sure many of you have tried this brand, but it was new to me and much better/smoother than any other kind I've had. I used to make my own hummus but couldn't pack my food processor, so this kind is a great alternative. The best part is, Costco sells a HUGE bowl of it for only $6!


And my favorite thing that is under $10 is Keep a Quiet Heart by Elisabeth Elliott. It is one of the most encouraging books I've ever read. Elisabeth Elliott is a STRONG woman and a great writer. She really preaches the Gospel throughout this book, and it is such an easy read. It is a compilation of her newsletters in the form of a book, so each chapter is about 2 pages.

 I've been reading a chapter each day, most days for over a year now, and I've never read one I didn't like. I've read plenty that convicted me and instructed me and encouraged me, but none of them are anything but Truth. I'm going to include a portion that really encouraged me the other day:

 The original sin, pride, is behind my "poor self-image," for I felt that I deserved better than I got, which is exactly what Eve felt! So it was pride, not poor self-image, that had to go. If I'm so beautiful and lovable, what was Jesus doing up there, nailed to the cross and crowned with thorns? Why all that hideous suffering for the pure Son of God? Here's why: There was no other way to deliver us from the hell of our own proud self-loving selves, no other way out of the bondage of self-pity and self-congratulation. How shall we take our stand beneath the cross of Jesus and continue to love the selves that put Him there? How can we survey the wondrous cross and at the same time feed our pride? No. It won't work. Jesus put it simply: If you want to be My disciple, you must leave self behind, take up the cross, and follow Me.

George MacDonald writes, "Right gladly would He free them from their misery, but He knows only one way: He will teach them to be like Himself, meek and lowly, bearing with gladness the yoke of His Father's will. This is the one, the only right, the only possible way of freeing them from their sin, the cause of their unrest."


1 comment:

  1. Love the apartment, love the couch, and love the hummus!

    ReplyDelete