BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, September 12, 2011

Everything really IS bigger in Texas

I got to Texas on Thursday night, and let me tell you, everything really is bigger here. This place is s.w.a.n.k.y. I've been living in small town America in good 'ole Foxboro, Massachusetts, and I've honestly been in a bit of shock at how Texas really is, well, Texas-y. 
1. Everyone here is blonde (I know, I know, I don't have room to talk, but mine is natural) and I can't keep straight the different people I've met with blonde hair. 
2. People drive slow, and I realize I've gotten used to being able to fly down the interstate with all the other Massholes. I've honked at more than one Texas driver, and I don't feel bad about it. They need to GET OUT OF MY WAY. 
3. We'd walked about halfway through the mall before I'd seen a single store that I'd consider shopping in. Everything was Chanel, Louis Vutton, Hermes, Yves Saint Laurent, etc etc. And I thought I'd really arrived when I got to Massachusetts and H&M was only 20 minutes away!
4. Most of the houses that I've seen in the "nice" areas of town are ginormous, with gas lamps outside, columns, gates, an American flag and a Texas flag. What more could one ask for?
5. The portions here are most definitely above and beyond the recommended portion sizes. I ordered fajitas to go when I was alone the other night becauseThomas had to stay at a different hotel the night before the game. I'm not sure, but I think they thought I ordered for the entire team. I've never seen so much food for one person in my WHOLE life. I'll be eating the leftovers for at least 3 more meals. 
6. There was an advertisement at the Texans game asking people to "please refrain from foul language." I laughed out loud, then realized the ad was serious! If they tried to police the language at a Patriots game, the world would most likely come to a crashing halt. They say the f-word there in the same way I use "um." 
7. The people are nice. I keep catching myself feeling guilty for saying "y'all" and then remembering that these people aren't judging me or thinking I'm a hick like in Mass. I'll take it!



4 comments:

  1. Welcome to Texas!!

    Hope you're getting settled in. If you need any recommendations for churches, restaurants, or places to crash, I've got plenty of family and friends in the Houston area and usually make it down there several times a year. Speaking of which, I'm hoping my next trip I can schedule when Thomas has a game and I can see him in action! I'll keep praying that your adjustment goes as smoothly as possible (it's like a whole new country out here I think sometimes)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pappasitos is sooooo good. I once ordered a salad there that came up to my chin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't help but like a place that has LV and uses y'all in everyday speech. Can't wait to visit! Love to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh to live where you're not judged for saying "y'all"...can't wait for that day!

    ReplyDelete