BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Why I Hate Moving

Reasons why I hate moving, aside from the packing and crying and shoving all of our earthly possessions into a portable storage unit for an unknown amount of time...

1. Buying new spices: I couldn't figure out a way to sanely pack all of our spices into my suitcase or the 2 boxes that I had shipped to Houston. I packed our favorite spices that I just can't buy in the grocery store, but other than that I figured it would be "cheaper" to buy all new spices rather than ship them here. I mean, they sell spices everywhere, right? But the hard part is, I never know which spices I need until I start to cook the recipe that calls for the spice I don't have. I feel like I just completed my spice collection in New England, only to have to give them all away. (Lori, I am so glad I gave them to you and I know they are being used well!) So, call me crazy but this really does top the list of things I hate about moving.
2. Missing my KitchenAid: I couldn't figure out a way to bring my 12039843 pound KitchenAid with me. I think of it as an old friend or a sweet family member. I took it to New England with me in the back of the truck, but I didn't drive a car here so that wasn't an option. Please, if you know of baking recipes that do not call for a mixer of any sort, LET ME KNOW. I am considering purchasing a hand mixer, but hoping to hold out on that as long as I can.
3. Buying new pillows: in case you didn't know, there is no sensible way to fly/ship 6 pillows from Boston to Houston. And yes, we sleep with 6 pillows. 3 each. Don't judge us. So we had to buy more when we got here, and I hate them. I want my old, old, old squishy pillows that I've had since high school. Here we are trying out pillows in Target. Thomas insisted that we both try them out on the floor in Target. Gross.



4. Basically, I hate moving because it is SO SO SO SO expensive. When I think back over the last year and all the money we could've saved if we hadn't been moving around like hoodlums....well, it makes me cringe. We could send this baby to college off of the money we've spent moving. Ok, so maybe in 2030 the money could buy our child books, but still.

And the things I like can be summed up in one item:

1. Getting rid of stuff we don't need, specifically clothes in my husband's closet that I don't like. He is never around when I am packing, so I maximize on that time by getting rid of all the ugly stuff. And the hundreds of pairs of Clemson, Vikings, and Patriots workout gear that he'll never wear again but saves for the memories. If you ask me, saving one pair of shorts and one shirt from each team will suffice for memory saving devices.

2 comments:

  1. sell it on ebay, yo! make some cash money back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marge you know we just threw out high school/college football stuff UNLESS he still wears it..I mean honestly who needs 10 pairs of cleets????
    SK

    ReplyDelete