BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Coq au Vin

Coq au vin French pronunciation (lit. 'rooster with wine') is a French braise of chicken cooked with wine. 


Last night we had Mark Bittman's recipe for "rooster with wine," which I think is a hilarious interpretation of what SOUNDS like a fancy French dish. While this dish does taste fancy, it was incredibly easy to make, and The Husband ate it with much gusto and appreciation. I served it over grits because I am trying to get rid of everything in our pantry before we pack up again, but it would also be good tossed with pasta or over rice, or even in a bowl by itself. The recipe was taken from Mark Bittman's Kitchen Express



The thing I love about 'ole Mark is that he writes all of the recipes in Kitchen Express in paragraph format, with hardly any quantities included. He leaves plenty of room for interpretation and adding whatever you'd like:

Coq au Vin

Pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts to half-inch thickness and season with salt and pepper. (I used 2 breasts and cut them in half) Sear on both sides in a bit of butter; set aside. Add two carrots chopped into one-inch pieces and half an onion cut into wedges; cook until onion begins to soften. Add a cup of red wine, (I tasted mine beforehand to make sure it was OK....it was) a bay leaf, a teaspoon of tarragon, and a thyme sprig (all I had was thyme so I skipped the other seasonings). Deglaze the pan (swirl it all around over the heat) return the chicken to the pan, and cover. Simmer for about six minutes until the meat is cooked through and the vegetables are tender. 

**The chicken will turn a hilarious purple color. Do not be alarmed. I also added a handful of spinach and it was delicious! 

No comments:

Post a Comment