BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Packing up + Satan Brownies

We're in the process of moving, again. And yet again, we are putting our stuff in storage. So, all of our belongings will either be in storage in a basement in Clemson, SC or in a garage here in Massachusetts. Thankfully, we have amazing friends and they are letting us move into their furnished apartment for the duration of Thomas' surgery and rehab. We found out yesterday morning that his "minor" surgery has a recovery of 8 weeks, with the next 4 weeks including his foot being in a hard cast. So, I would've had to move out all alone before February 15 (when our lease is over) and I just couldn't bear the thought of packing up alone. So, we've packed everything this morning and some gracious fellows from church are about to come move all of it. If only the owners of the NFL knew the headaches they are causing me with their precious lockout.

Now, moving on to more important things. If you love peanut butter, and you love chocolate, and you love peanut butter and chocolate in your mouth simultaneously, then you'd better hurry up and make these. Right now.

Or, if you love your husband who loves chocolate and peanut butter, you will also feel the urge to make them. WARNING: your husband will try to eat an entire plate and he will exclaim "get behind me Satan!" when he is looking at the brownies and trying not to eat another.


I got the original recipe from my sister, but I am lazy and cheap and hate going to the grocery store more than my alloted once a week. So, I looked for a recipe that called for semi-sweet chocolate instead of bittersweet. Other than melting the chocolate in a double boiler, this is super easy. And if you don't have a double boiler, you do this: 


So here is the recipe for what came out of my oven:

Heat oven to 350. In a double boiler, melt 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate with 1stick of unsalted butter. Beat 3/4 cup sugar with 3 eggs and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1 cup flour. Stir in melted chocolate and butter mixture. Spread into greased 9-inch baking pan. In another bowl, mix 1/2 cup flour with 2 T brown sugar, 2 T granulated sugar, 1/8 teaspoon of salt and 1/3 cup chunky peanut butter. (I used plain peanut butter and the original recipe called for 2 T melted butter as well. I just didn't use it.) Sprinkle streusel over brownie batter and press lightly into the batter with the back of spatula. Bake for 30-35 minutes. TRY to let them cool before you devour them. 



5 comments:

  1. They look great. I am going to try them this week. Hope moving goes well I know its a big FAT pain. Glad things are working out for you moving and all..well working out the best they can. I miss you and TOM. Tell him hellp and we will be praying for the surgery. LOTS of LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on being impacted by the owners lockout. Get South as soon as you can. Healing from God in the Bible belt is way faster than up there. Cold and freezing actually slows everything down! Love, Uncle Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marge! I tried those brownies this evening and they are fantastic and aptly named! The only thing I did different was to melt the chocolate and the butter in the microwave - I am too lazy for even the fake double boiler. Seemed to work. Sorry about the impending lockout! We are football nuts around here so we are hoping it gets resolved!!

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't blame Thomas... I'm drooling just looking at the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a little behind in blog reading, but will try these soon. They look yummy! I agree about using the microwave, you just have to do it a little bit at a time. Although i grew up not knowing what a double boiler was because I put water in a skillet and a sauce pan on top of that. It works well. Kind of like what you did:)

    ReplyDelete