BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, February 21, 2011

What my husband signed me up for

Last week, Thomas spoke to a group of students at Johnson and Wales in Providence. At the end of his talk, there was a little Q&A time. The topic of exam week came up, and Thomas said, "oh I loved exam week in college, I didn't have any football practice and women from church always made baked goods for the students to eat." A girl who goes to our church raised her hand and said "since you go to our church, are you going to make us baked goods?" Thomas quickly replied "oh my wife is a great baker, she makes awesome p-nut butter brownies, pumpkin muffins, coconut cookies and stuff like that, so she'll make you whatever you want." So afterwards Thomas literally took orders from students for all of the above, and then declared to them that he has the ability to make a chocolate pound cake.

What? Who? Thomas Austin? MY husband?

He can make just about anything on the grill and he is extremely competent in the kitchen, but I've never seen him bake anything. 


Well, after I'd made double batches of every baked good imaginable, Thomas began the making of his chocolate pound cake. After he recovered from a mini-panic attack over the fact that Crisco has enough fat grams to make McDonald's squirm, he impressed me with his baking skills. I must say, the cake was to die for. And I don't even like pound cake. The cinnamon and almond extract are the perfect addition. So, he wanted me to share his success and the recipe. And don't skip the egg white step at the end, it really made for a fluffier pound cake!

Best Chocolate Pound Cake Ever

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Margaret! Your based goods were DELICIOUS!!!! And they have certainly gave me that much needed sugar high during studying :)

    We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother is baking? What????

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to have to quit reading your blog, too many good recipes on here! I made these

    http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/breakfast/recipe-double-chocolate-butterscotch-breakfast-muffins-112247

    muffins (they are to dies for) after you posted the link on here and the PB brownies we spectacular!!!

    ReplyDelete