BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Humility

I recently finished reading Humility by CJ Mahaney, and I have the feeling I'll need to read it once a week for the remainder of my life. Certain parts of it were just too good not to share, so I wanted to write down a few of my favorite quotes. I hope you find this as encouraging/convicting as I did!

My favorite part was regarding Ephesians 4:29 "Let no unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but ONLY what is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear." CJ says:

      "Paul is referring to any and all communication that deters growth in godliness; any speech that hinders the cultivation of godly relationships; any words that have a deadening and dulling effect on the soul of another...there's to be no decay-spreading communication of any kind, in any way, at any time, by anyone...In my experience, when there's an absence of edifying words there's also normally the presence of pride and of self-righteousness, because those who are proud are too preoccupied with themselves and think too highly of themselves to care about building others up or to be sensitive to their true needs. It's the humble who are perceptive; they're skilled in discerning the work of God in others because they care about others and want to serve other. So I encourage you to memorize and meditate on Ephesians 4:29 and take it with you into your many conversations throughout day by day." 

Wow. I just think that is good, good stuff. And oh-so-easy to forget. Will you pray for me, that it will remain at the forefront of my mind...all day, every day?

No comments:

Post a Comment