BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, August 22, 2011

Quinoa Pilaf

Since Husband is at football all day every day, I can get away with a vegetarian dish for dinner. This quinoa pilaf was worth sharing. I got the idea here but made a few additions based on what I had in my fridge. 

Quinoa Pilaf
1 c. dry quinoa
1 c. water
1 c. dry white wine
2 small squash, diced
2 T. olive oil
1 carrot, diced
1/4 c. onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
2 c. fresh spinach
1/4 c. walnuts, chopped
1/2 c. fresh parsley, chopped
2 T. white balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

1. Bring water and wine to a boil. Add quinoa and cook for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. 
2. In saute pan, heat 1 T. olive oil. Add carrot, squash, onion and garlic. Cook 7-9 minutes. (I have to make myself walk away so that the veggies will get nice and brown, otherwise I stir them too much in an effort to hurry them up.) Set aside. Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil and spinach to pan. Cook until wilted. 
3. Meanwhile, toast walnuts in toaster oven or under broiler for about 5 minutes. 
4. Stir together quinoa, veggie mixture and walnuts. Add parsley and vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. 

This could probably serve three people as a main dish and about 6 people as a side dish. Unless they are linemen. In that case, serve them the whole pot in a single serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment