BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, August 19, 2011

THE Tomatoes

Remember the tomatoes I posted about from Gwyneth Paltrow's cookbook? I am more in love with them today than I was two weeks ago. I've now made them 6 times in 2.5 weeks. Three times I made them for non-tomato lovers and they were converted. I put them on sandwiches, on top of fish, chicken...I'm pretty much willing to try them with anything and I'll swear by it. My sister used them in Gwyneth's recipe for frittata and said it was amazing. With these statistics, how could I forget to actually post the recipe? Shame on me.

And while Gwyneth was not the first one to invent these tomatoes, I have to give her credit because her cookbook is the first place I learned about them.

Gwyneth describes them as "a pantry essential. This method turns even the most flavorless, out-of-season winter tomatoes into gorgeous, sweet ones." Preach it, Gwyn.

She doesn't give any measurements for this recipe in the cookbook (which is probably why I love it so much.) But for those of you who need measurements, the last time I made this, I used about 6 Roma tomatoes halved lengthwise. I placed the halves on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzled olive oil all over the top of them (I'd say about 1/2 tsp. per tomato) then sprinkle salt and pepper all over. I use Sarah's Sea Salt  instead of salt and pepper, but if you don't have that, any blend will do.

Place in oven preheated to 275. Bake for 3-5 hours. I usually check them around 3 hours to make sure they aren't getting too brown on top. They will look nearly sun dried and most of the moisture will evaporate. They also keep in the fridge for a week, so I make a big batch and reheat them throughout the week. Hope you enjoy as much as I have!

2 comments:

  1. I can testify to how delicious these are! I AM a tomato lover, but the thought of getting tasty tomatoes in the dead of winter...not much can be done with hothouse tomatoes befor this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So for the romas did you slice them just once (in half?)

    ReplyDelete